Re: next-20090310: ext4 hangs

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 11:48:05 EST

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 05:18:55PM +0300, Alexander Beregalov wrote:
> > Thanks for reporting this; does it show up on stock 2.6.29-rc7?
> No, I can not reproduce it.
> It is a slow system, I would not like to bisect it, only if it is the
> last possibility.

Just to be clear; you weren't able to reproduce it on stock 2.6.29-rc7
---- does it reproduce easily on linux-next?

Next question --- does the system hang completely, or just the dbench
process (and probably any process that tries touching the filesystem
that's hung up)? Do you have a serial console, or someone of
recording all of the dumps coming from sysrq-t? The two stack traces
you gave weren't the ones causing the problem, but rather the ones
waiting for the journal lock.

I don't think is related to BZ #12579, although some of the symptoms
look superficially the same.

- Ted

P.S. What are your dbench parameters, and how big is your filesystem,
so I can try to reproduce it on my side? And how long do you
typically need to run before this triggers? Thanks!