Re: [patch] aio: remove aio-max-nr and instead use the memlock rlimitto limit the number of pages pinned for the aio completion ring

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 12:18:40 EST

Jeff Moyer wrote:
Hi,

Believe it or not, I get numerous questions from customers about the
suggested tuning value of aio-max-nr. aio-max-nr limits the total
number of io events that can be reserved, system wide, for aio
completions. Each time io_setup is called, a ring buffer is allocated
that can hold nr_events I/O completions. That ring buffer is then
mapped into the process' address space, and the pages are pinned in
memory. So, the reason for this upper limit (I believe) is to keep a
malicious user from pinning all of kernel memory. Now, this sounds like
a much better job for the memlock rlimit to me, hence the following
patch.

Is it not possible to get rid of the pinning entirely? Pinning interferes with page migration which is important for NUMA, among other issues.