Re: [Bug #12650] Strange load average and ksoftirqd behavior with2.6.29-rc2-git1

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 05:54:50 EST

* Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > http://redhat.com/~mingo/tip.git/tracing-quickstart.txt
> > http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/README
>
> Hm, both URLs gave me a 404, .../tip.git/ seems empty - could these
> documents find a nice place under Documentation/ perhaps?

Hm, there's a people.redhat.com outage today - find below that file
in plaintext too.

Ingo

# --------------{ tip.git instructions }---------->

mkdir linux.trees.git || exit -1
cd linux.trees.git

git init
# Add Linus's tree as a remote
git remote add linus git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

# Add the -tip tree as a remote
git remote add tip git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git

#
# With that setup, just run the following to get any changes you
# don't have. It will also notice any new branches Ingo/Linus
# add to their repo. Look in .git/config afterwards, the format
# to add new remotes is easy to figure out.
#
# This will take a lot of time initially (it downloads the ~150MB
# repository), but will be much faster subsequently as it only
# does delta updates. Note that it may warn you about no common
# commits but you can ignore that:
#
git remote update

#
# Check out the latest -tip branch to a local branch
# in this example, we create a branch called 'tip-latest'
# You can pick whatever name suits you.
#
git checkout -b tip-latest tip/master

#
# if you need to do bisection of the -tip tree, then do:
# (but first check that linus/master is indeed a 'good' kernel :-)
#
git bisect start
git bisect good linus/master
git bisect bad tip/master

#
# If you want to help out with cleanups, and want to pick some
# low hanging fruits, do this:
#
wget http://redhat.com/~mingo/tip.git/code-quality
chmod +x code-quality

./code-quality `find kernel/ -name '*.c'` | tee quality.txt

#
# Pick the file that looks most interesting to you:
#
sort -n -k 4 quality.txt

#
# and if you do some work based on tip.git, in particular when
# you change x86 specific bits, feel free to talk to the
# maintainers about it (especially if you are about to
# do some bigger chunk of work and think that you'd like to
# ask whether it makes sense or whether anyone else is working
# on it):
#
# X86 ARCHITECTURE (32-BIT AND 64-BIT)
# P: Thomas Gleixner
# M: tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
# P: Ingo Molnar
# M: mingo@xxxxxxxxxx
# P: H. Peter Anvin
# M: hpa@xxxxxxxxx
#
# And this is the mailing list to send patches to:
#
# L: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
#
# When sending arch/x86 patches, please try to use the following
# subject line format (sample):
#
# Subject: [patch] x86: fix typo in ...
#