Re: Very old IDE hard drive (240 MB) detected as 1.1 TB

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 09:34:52 EST

(ccing linux-ide)

Hanno BÃck wrote:
I was about to shred some old hard drives. On one Hard drive, identified as:
Conner Peripherals 240MB - CP30254

it was detected as 1.1 TB (!) and obviously throwing lots of errors after getting over 240 MB.

Is this issue worth investigating further? System is ubuntu 8.10. If anyone wants to have a deeper look, I can obviously donate that harddrive if you pay me shipping costs.

That would be worth investigating, yes.. If you can provide the dmesg output from bootup, as well as the output of hdparm --Istdout on the disk device, that would be useful..