Re: Acer Aspire One fan control

From: Thomas Renninger
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 05:45:25 EST

Peter Feuerer <peter <at> piie.net> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> I own such an Acer Aspire One netbook and the noisy fan annoyed me. (The
> default hardware controlled fan is on all the time). So I wrote a small
> kernel module which monitors the temperature of the cpu and turns the fan on
> and off. After testing it a while on my and some of my friends netbooks, it
> seems to be stable and I thought about submitting this functionality to
> the mainline kernel. As this is my first time, I've got some questions and
> would really appreciate any help.
>
> Do you think it makes sense to add it as seperate kernelmodule or should I
> patch another module, e.g. the drivers/misc/acer-wmi.c module?
> Should I try also to add the functionality of the
> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/* things in my first patch? Or just submit the
> general functionality for controlling the fan and add additional things step
> by step?

Does it help if you do:
echo 10 >/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/polling_frequency

If the fan is controlled via thermal ACPI trip points, maybe latest kernel
versions do help? There were several commits lately in this area, e.g.:
676962dac6e267ce7c13f73962208f9124a084bb
f5adfaa372c76423b6e8e4727a9701330374f364
The latter adds a boot param you could give a try if you think it's worth it:
ACPI: Add "acpi.power_nocheck=1" to disable power state check in power
transition