Re: vfs: Add MS_FLUSHONFSYNC mount flag

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 16:31:10 EST

Jan Kara wrote:
> On Thu 12-02-09 11:13:37, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>> Also that way if you have 8 partitions on a battery-backed blockdev, you
>> can tune it once, instead of needing to mount all 8 filesystems with the
>> new option.
> Yes, but OTOH we should give sysadmin a possibility to enable / disable
> it on just some partitions. I don't see a reasonable use for that but people
> tend to do strange things ;) and here isn't probably a strong reason to not
> allow them.
>
> Honza

But nobody has asked for that, have they? So why offer it up a this point?

They could use LD_PRELOAD to make fsync a no-op if they really don't
care for it, I guess... though that's not easily per-fs either.

But do we really want to go out of our way to enable people to
short-circuit data integrity paths and then file bugs when their files
go missing? :)

(I guess the blockdev tunable is similarly dangerous, but it more
clearly meets the explicit need (writecache-safe devices))

-Eric