Re: git pull request for tip/tracing/urgent

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 08:40:25 EST

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:02:29AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > > To the next item the linker placed into the .fixup section. And that
> > > would jump back to the location for that fixup. Basically, what you have
> > > is this:
> > >
> > > (just picking random and factitious registers)
> > >
> > > .section .text
> > > [...]
> > > L1: mov %a, %b
> > > L2: cmp %x, $1
> > > <continue code>
> > >

> > > <Someplace else>
> > >
> > > .section .text
> > > [...]
> > > L3: mov %c, %d
> > > L4: cmp %x, $22
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > .section .fixup
> > > [...]
> > > L5: mov $1, %x
> > > jmp L2
> > > L6: mov $22, %x
> > > jmp L4
> > > [...]
> > >

> > > .section __ex_table
> > > [...]
> > > .long L1, L5
> > > .long L3, L6
> > > [...]
> > >

> > > So when we take an exception at label L1, the page fault code will look
> > > to see if it is OK, by doing a binary search of the exception table.
> > > When it finds the L1, L5 pair, it will then set up a return to the L5
> > > label.
> > >
> > > When the fault returns to L5, it loads that reg %x with $1 and jumps back
> > > to L2, where it can see that it took a fault.
> > >
> > > Now lets look at what happens when we do not have that jump back to L2.
> > > Instead of going back to the original code, it will load $22 into %x and
> > > jmp back to the wrong area. God knows what will happen then, since the
> > > stack pointer thinks it is from where the original fault occurred.
> >

> > Heh, that's fairly logic. Don't ask me why, but I did not imagine each
> > part of .fixup unified in a separate contiguous section (but what else can it be?...).
> >
> > Thanks for your explanations :-)
>
> This bit:
>
> ".section .fixup, \"ax\"\n"
> "4: movl $1, %[faulted]\n"
> " jmp 3b\n"
> ".previous\n"
>
> Can be thought of as an 'embedded' or 'nested' section - the '.previous'
> directive jumps back to whatever section we were in before. This can be
> nested multiple times too:
>
> .section A
> [...]
> .section B
> [...]
> .section C
> [...]
> .previous
> [...]
> .previous
> [...]
> .previous
>
> For whatever reason the interaction of the assembler with the linker and
> in particular linker scripts are one of the most undocumented areas of OSS.
> Does anyone know any good reference to start with?

> [...]

When I wrote this part, I used the following documentation:

http://tldp.org/LDP/khg/HyperNews/get/devices/exceptions.html

But yeah, the assembler/linker stuff documentation for gcc are not so much
documented.

There is the raw reference:
http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/as/index.html

Concerning examples, practical cases, it is exploded on several parts on the web, some good
links can be found on http://asm.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for your explanation.
But I'm confused, if the .previous make a jump to the previous section, then it already
does what jmp 3b does right?