Re: 2.6.29-rc3-git6: Reported regressions from 2.6.28

From: Eric Anholt
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 19:51:30 EST

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 20:36 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > kconfig was not broken at all in this case. It detected a circular
> > > dependency and did its work well.
> >
> > Maybe. I haven't seen an explanation for the problems that Eric reported
> > 2+ weeks ago.
>
> The thing he reported 2 weeks ago is a straightforward recursive dependency
> bug in the config entries:
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/Kconfig:8:error: found recursive dependency:
> DRM -> <choice> -> DRM_I915 -> FB -> FB_I810 -> AGP -> DRM
>
> this is the precise circular dependency problem that the I810_FB and
> INTEL_FB changes in my patch solve.

I think the problem is that when looking at
select FB
or
depends on FB
I see "this thing depends on FB. If I said select, then instead of
asking the user to enable it before seeing the option, just enable the
option for them". Even after seeing your patch, I still don't see why
the select means that AGP depends on DRM.

But big thanks for fixing it!

--
Eric Anholt
eric@xxxxxxxxxx eric.anholt@xxxxxxxxx