Re: [cgroup or VFS ?] INFO: possible recursive locking detected

From: Li Zefan
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 04:26:39 EST

Al Viro wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 01:19:17PM +0800, Li Zefan wrote:
>>> You have no promise whatsoever that whoever's been trying to
>>> get the lock in question will even get out of the locking primitive
>>> before the memory that contains the lock gets freed. In case of superblocks
>>> in general, you don't free them until ->s_count hits zero. At that point
>>> anything as much as remembering the address of that superblock is already
>>> FUBAR.
>>>
>> This is not the general case. This sb won't be seen by anyone, and destroy_super()
>> is called on a sb with ->s_count == 1 and ->s_umount held.
>
> ... so in this case we have even a stronger warranty of everything being
> OK with freeing it while locked. "Nothing has ever seen its address"
> means that entire struct contents is fair game...

Yes, this won't cause bad things, but I think it's better to make lock/unlock
consistent, and we have to make lockdep happy.

> As for the other question, you are leaving a reference to root hanging from
> superblock still on the list (grab_super() will fail on it, but that's it)
> and you have code that might look into the damn thing (test callback you
> pass to sget()). Dereferencing pointers to freed objects is not nice, to
> put it mildly...

It's clear to me now, thanks for the explanation. Though I failed to trigger
this bug, I managed to trigger it if I set sb->s_fs_info to NULL just after
kfree(root).

> BTW, which dentries are going to stick around until that point?

Not sure if I got what you mean. cgroup_kill_sb() will be called only if there
are no sub-dirs.