Re: [1/1] w1: w1 temp calculation overflow fix.

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Feb 09 2009 - 17:48:25 EST

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:08:30 +0300
Evgeniy Polyakov <zbr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Please provide changelogs. This bugfix is applicable to 2.6.28.x and
> > probably earlier. But due to the lack of any supporting information I
> > am not in a position to determine whether it should be backported.
>
> That's what was placed into the documentation iirc, code for the more
> advanced chip works ok. This code exists for way too long, but
> apparently did not grow higher than 32 degrees, so it is applicable for
> the earlier trees either.

I think the above means that the patch is appropriate for earlier trees.

But we still don't have a _reason_. Presumably the bug causes the
driver to malfunction in some manner.

There are two reasons for properly describing the patch:

a) the stable maintainers will want to understand why they should
backport the patch - does the bug affect anyone and if so, how?

b) people who are using earlier kernel versions and who experience a
bug will want to know whether this patch will fix their bug. To do
that, they will need a description of what the patch fixes!

So please, do describe the user-visible impact of the bug if that is at
all relevant or possible.