Re: Genapic cleanup & NUMAQ/es7000 removal

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 16:25:45 EST

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'm not going to apply that series for the reasons i outlined in the NUMAQ
> > discussion already. The runtime callbacks arent really a maintenance
> > problem: most of them are in boot code so it's not a runtime overhead issue.
>
> Ok. It's basically dead code now, dropping it would just make
> the kernels a little smaller and also the code somewhat easier
> to read.
>
> If you keep them I would be interested in hearing about your testing plan
> for es7000 and NUMAQ AFAIK there is noone currently running them which
> makes that likely challenging.

For example we havent had reports about boot hangs with certain rare types
of Cyrix CPU based boards (obsolete, desupported, manufacturer gone) for
multiple stable kernel releases - still eventually someone came across the
problem and a fix was done. The testing exposure of the upstream kernel is
still very narrow in practice.

Anyway, i stated our maintenance position about x86 compatibility clearly
and unless there's some good technical reason for the removal the code stays
in the kernel.

Ingo