Re: 2.6.29-rc3-git6: Reported regressions from 2.6.28

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Feb 04 2009 - 13:18:32 EST

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:

> The problem is that if you have a configuration under 2.6.28 without
> CONFIG_FB and just call make oldconfig, or even make config and don't
> know that you loose the DRM. And I was using make oldconfig (there is a
> graphical config?? ;-))

Sure. It's inconvenient, no question about that. I asked the i915 people
to look into not requiring CONFIG_FB, and I hope they will, but my point
is that I don't think we can consider "small one-time inconvenience" to be
a "regression".

> So maybe there should be a select FB or so under the CONFIG_DRM option
> (not that I actually can program Kconfig).

CONFIG_FB is one of the things that _could_ be selected for (it doesn't
depend on anything else that I know about), so just changing the "depends
on FB" into a "select FB" may get rid of the issue - but it would not
actually fix your problem, since your CONFIG_DRM_I915 has already been set
to 'n' by now - so you'd _still_ have to enable it by hand again.

So the upside is not very big - people who have custom configs are the
often the same people who try -rc1's, so they've already hit this.

Linus