Re: Reworking suspend-resume sequence (was: Re: PCI PM: Restorestandard config registers of all devices early)

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 16:12:14 EST

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 11:19 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Hmm. The _normal_ simple irq handler does this the way I described, but
> > for some reason the "handle_edge_irq()" does not. And the reason is
> > actually a buglet: it needs to mask things for the "recursive interrupt"
> > case.
>
> Btw, just to clarify: none of this happens at the actual "irq_disable()"
> time: it only happens if you get an interrupt _while_ it's disabled. Which
> obviously shouldn't happen in the shutdown/wakeup path anyway for MSI,
> since the interrupts aren't shared, but it would be good to just be extra
> safe.
>
> I do suspect we could/should just get rid of the msi masking entirely, but
> that may be too scary a step.

I agree :-) It's been a source of problem anyway, I remember hearing
some device reacting strangely (aka, losing MSIs) when masked, and it's
not even implemented by all devices (somebody had the "smart" idea of
making an optional feature). So it ends up being a lot of not very
useful code...

> For the current suspend/resume situation, maybe it's enough to know that
> it shouldn't be happening anyway, and even if it _does_ happen on a device
> that has been shut down, it's just not going to do anything. Sure, it's
> doing that "writel/readl", but if it gets lost, who really cares? Nobody.

Note that I still believe that life would be simpler to just keep the
current local_irq_save() and just tweak might_sleep() etc... so that
ACPI is safe to call. At least it can be done orthogonally to this
interrupt change.

IE. As I said earlier, that interrupt masking -will- change the exposed
semantics of suspend_late() to drivers. In fact, iirc, it's you who
advertised initially suspend_late() as being the 'easy' way to write a
PCI driver suspend routine specifically because you don't have to bother
about being re-entered from anywhere for things like request processing
etc... With the change, the kernel is essentially still operating,
timers are ticking, we may even be scheduling, so this important
assumption is gone. That means a lot more chances for driver to screw
up.

Cheers,
Ben.