Re: [stable] A patch in 2.6.27.9 caused device names to change

From: Chuck Ebbert
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 15:17:21 EST

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:50:11 -0500
Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 16:05 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 05:02:38PM -0500, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> > > This patch:
> > > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=blob_plain;f=releases/2.6.27.9/usb-option-add-pantech-cards.patch;hb=HEAD
> > >
> > > replaced my wireless adapter's /dev/ttyACM0 interface with three interfaces:
> > > /dev/ttyUSB[012]
> > >
> > > That broke my ppp connection scripts. And I have to use /dev/ttyUSB1 to connect,
> > > not USB0. Also it looks like Network Manager only knows how to use the first
> > > interface in its auto-connect mode, so people using that also lost their
> > > connections.
> >
> > Ugh, that sucks.
> >
> > That is what is also in upstream, so 2.6.29-rc also fails for you?

I didn't try it, but it should. I don't have a problem with that, just with
changing the driver in a stable kernel update.

> > Dan, what's with replacing working devices with the cdc-acm driver with
> > option device ids? Is there some reason you did this?
>
> For a long time we've been operating under the assumption that mobile
> broadband devices should be driven by option and sierra, since those
> drivers had the necessary buffering optimizations to support
> higher-speed mobile broadband devices. That was true at least up until
> 2.6.24.
>
> Furthermore, up until this point, I have not seen mobile broadband
> adapters (that aren't cellphones connected via USB) that *are* CDC-ACM
> compliant. Everything previously has advertised proprietary interfaces,
> some of which are serial ports and some of which are not.
>
> Most mobile broadband cards *do* have more than one TTY, the others are
> used for additional control ports or proprietary access for stuff like
> GPS and flashing the firmware.
>
> Can we get the 'lsusb -v' output for this card? I'm quite curious how
> many endpoints and interfaces the device actually has.

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 106c:3711 Curitel Communications, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 2 Communications
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x106c Curitel Communications, Inc.
idProduct 0x3711
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 PANTECH
iProduct 2 PANTECH USB MODEM
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 113
bNumInterfaces 4
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 1
bInterfaceClass 2 Communications
bInterfaceSubClass 2 Abstract (modem)
bInterfaceProtocol 1 AT-commands (v.25ter)
iInterface 0
CDC Header:
bcdCDC 1.09
CDC Call Management:
bmCapabilities 0x03
call management
use DataInterface
bDataInterface 1
CDC ACM:
bmCapabilities 0x0f
connection notifications
sends break
line coding and serial state
get/set/clear comm features
CDC Union:
bMasterInterface 0
bSlaveInterface 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 9
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 10 CDC Data
bInterfaceSubClass 0 Unused
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 3 Data Interface
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x85 EP 5 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 2
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor: