Re: [patch] SLQB slab allocator (try 2)

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 14:03:20 EST

Hi Mel,

Mel Gorman wrote:
The OLTP workload results could indicate a downside with using sysbench
although it could also be hardware. The reports from the Intel guys have been
pretty clear-cut that SLUB is a loser but sysbench-postgres on these test
machines at least do not agree. Of course their results are perfectly valid
but the discrepency needs to be explained or there will be a disconnect
between developers and the performance people. Something important is
missing that means sysbench-postgres *may* not be a reliable indicator of
TPC-C performance. It could easily be down to the hardware as their tests
are on a mega-large machine with oodles of disks and probably NUMA where
the test machine used for this is a lot less respectable.

Yup. That's more or less what I've been saying for a long time now. The OLTP regression is not all obvious and while there has been plenty of talk about it (cache line ping-pong due to lack of queues, high order pages), I've yet to see a detailed analysis on it.

It would be interesting to know what drivers the Intel setup uses. One thing I speculated with Christoph at OLS is that the regression could be due to bad interaction with the SCSI subsystem, for example. That would explain why the regression doesn't show up in typical setups which have ATA.

Anyway, even if we did end up going forward with SLQB, it would sure as hell be less painful if we understood the reasons behind it.

Pekka