Re: Mainline kernel OLTP performance update

From: Zhang, Yanmin
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 21:56:03 EST

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 10:22 -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Pekka Enberg wrote:
>
> > Looking at __slab_free(), unless page->inuse is constantly zero and we
> > discard the slab, it really is just cache effects (10% sounds like a
> > lot, though!). AFAICT, the only way to optimize that is with Christoph's
> > unfinished pointer freelists patches or with a remote free list like in
> > SLQB.
>
> No there is another way. Increase the allocator order to 3 for the
> kmalloc-8192 slab then multiple 8k blocks can be allocated from one of the
> larger chunks of data gotten from the page allocator. That will allow slub
> to do fast allocs.
After I change kmalloc-8192/order to 3, the result(pinned netperf UDP-U-4k)
difference between SLUB and SLQB becomes 1% which can be considered as fluctuation.

But when trying to increased it to 4, I got:
[root@lkp-st02-x8664 slab]# echo "3">kmalloc-8192/order
[root@lkp-st02-x8664 slab]# echo "4">kmalloc-8192/order
-bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

Comparing with SLQB, it seems SLUB needs too many investigation/manual finer-tuning
against specific benchmarks. One hard is to tune page order number. Although SLQB also
has many tuning options, I almost doesn't tune it manually, just run benchmark and
collect results to compare. Does that mean the scalability of SLQB is better?