Re: PROBLEM: Can't boot a (HZ = 1000) kernel using an AMD Phenom-IIprocessor

From: Andreas Herrmann
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 08:04:40 EST

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:34:43AM +0100, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> Mark Hounschell wrote:
> > The MB is a Biostar TA770+. It is not yet listed as one with new
> > BIOS support for the Phenom-II. Only the TA770+ SE is at the moment.
> > The only difference in the Sata port arrangement and the BIOS type.
> >
> > I guess I'll just keep pinging them.
>
> OK I have now the official bios for this CPU/MB combo. I still cannot boot a
> 1000 HZ kernel.

Looking at the Biostar pages I am still not completely convinced that
your CPU/MB combo is supported. At least it is not listed there.
So far TA770 A2+ SE, rev. 6.X, is listed. Did the Biostar folks confirm you
that your mobo model/revision is supported, too?

> Here is my new dmesg while running a 250Hz kernel.

> Linux version 2.6.26.8 (root@harley) (gcc version 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease)
> CPU0: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor stepping 02
> CPU1: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor stepping 02
> CPU2: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor stepping 02
> CPU3: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor stepping 02

Looks good so far.

> eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> warning: `ntpd' uses deprecated v2 capabilities in a way that may be insecure.
> hda-intel: Invalid position buffer, using LPIB read method instead.
> NET: Registered protocol family 4
> NET: Registered protocol family 3
> NET: Registered protocol family 5

This reminds me of some system hangs with older kernels when C1E was
activated.

Can you please try to boot with idle=poll, or idle=mwait, or nolapic_timer
when using 2.6.26.X?
Can you also try to boot .27 or .28?

Thanks,

Andreas

--
Operating | Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
System | Karl-Hammerschmidt-Str. 34, 85609 Dornach b. München, Germany