Re: lmbench lat_mmap slowdown with CONFIG_PARAVIRT

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 17:27:13 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
Ouch, that looks unacceptably expensive. All the major distros turn CONFIG_PARAVIRT on. paravirt_ops was introduced in x86 with the express promise to have no measurable runtime overhead.

( And i suspect the real life mmap cost is probably even more expensive,
as on a Barcelona all of lmbench fits into the cache hence we dont see
any real $cache overhead. )

Jeremy, any ideas where this slowdown comes from and how it could be fixed?

I just posted a couple of patches to pick some low-hanging fruit. It turns out that we don't need to do any pvops calls to do pte flag manipulations. I'd be interested to see how much of a difference it makes (it reduces the static code size by a few k).