Memory not being reported

From: David Ronis
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 16:05:08 EST

I'm running 2.6.28.1 on an i686 (slackware-12.1 for the most part) box.
I recently added some extra memory, expanding from 2Gb to 4. Everything
works as expected except that not all of the memory seems to be seen.

free returns:

total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 3374860 2099504 1275356 0 86612
1032024
-/+ buffers/cache: 980868 2393992
Swap: 497972 0 497972

and cat /proc/meminfo gives:

MemTotal: 3374860 kB
MemFree: 1199184 kB
Buffers: 86816 kB
Cached: 1036240 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 1375864 kB

etc.

On the other hand, user-space tools like lshw show the 4 1Gb DIMMS as
does the BIOS configuration boot menu.

One suspicion is that the configure option CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
should be unset and the CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G should be.

Any help would be appreciated, as would a separate CC since I don't
subscribe to the list.

Thanks in advance

David