Re: sparc64 build breakage...

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 03:11:37 EST

* David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:15:53 -0800 (PST)
>

> > This change:
> >
> > commit d7e51e66899f95dabc89b4d4c6674a6e50fa37fc
> > Author: Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Wed Jan 7 15:03:13 2009 -0800
> >
> > sparseirq: make some func to be used with genirq
> >
> > breaks the sparc64 build:
> ..
> > This should fix it:
> >
> > sparc64: Fix build by using kstat_irqs_cpu().
>
> And here is a mix for the next failure.

Applied your fixes to tip/irq/sparseirq:

e81838d: sparc64: Fix build by using kstat_irqs_cpu()
623d3f0: sparc64: Fix build by including linux/irq.h into time_64.c

thanks David!

> But really, either linux/kernel_stat.h provides the
> kstat_incr_irqs_this_cpu interface or linux/irq.h does, not both.

Yes, but every time someone tries to clean those dependencies up, it gets
held up by non-genirq architectures:

/*
* Please do not include this file in generic code. There is currently
* no requirement for any architecture to implement anything held
* within this file.
*
* Thanks. --rmk
*/

Meanwhile that particular comment is moot because ARM is genirq - but
there's a handful of other non-genirq architectures so this area of code
continues to be a mess.

I guess we could move all the APIs to kernel_stat.h. Yinghai?

Ingo