Re: Warning and BUG with btrfs and corrupted image

From: Eric Sesterhenn
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 04:37:17 EST

* Pavel Machek (pavel@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Tue 2009-01-20 18:34:55, Eric Sesterhenn wrote:
> > * Dave Chinner (david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > Sure I am. It would be good if you could start testing XFS along
> > > with all the other filesystems and report anything you find.
> >
> > Ok, i wont report stuff with only xfs-internal backtraces from
> > xfs_error_report() or are they interesting to you?
> >
> > This occurs during mount, box is dead afterwards
> > Image can be found here :
> > http://www.cccmz.de/~snakebyte/xfs.11.img.bz2
> > I see this every ~10 images, which makes further testing hard :)
>
> BTW have you considered trying to run fsck.* on such images? I had lot
> of fun with e2fsck/e3fsck/fsck.vfat.

Not yet, but if one assumes the people writing the userspace code are
the same writing the kernel code, and probably make the same errors in
both versions this might be interesting.

For userspace a more advanced approach than random bit flipping is
possible with tools like bunny (http://code.google.com/p/bunny-the-fuzzer/)
Bunny instrumentates the code, and then tries to change the input file
based on the feedback it gets from the instrumentation. I fired up
an instance testing ext2, lets see if it finishes until evening :-)

Maybe someone is brave enough to test this approach with user mode
linux... :)

Greetings, Eric