Re: 2.6.28 changes in-kernel name for UVC device ?

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 12:14:01 EST

Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:49, Ionut Leonte <ionut.leonte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have a Dell laptop with an integrated webcam which works with the 'uvcvideo'
>> module. For kernel versions 2.6.27 and below the following udev rule:
>>
>> KERNEL=="video[0-9]*", NAME="v4l/video%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="video"
>>
>> would create '/dev/video0' as a link to '/dev/v4l/video0'. When switching to
>> 2.6.28 the rule creates '/dev/video1394-0' instead. Obviously most user-space
>> apps were quite surprised by this (as was I).
>>
>> Is this change intended or is it the accidental result of some modification ?
>
> These rules are broken, and match also on firewire devices and not
> only video4linux devices.
>
> Such rules are not part of the standard udev setup and need to be
> fixed to work as intended. There is no change or fault at the kernel
> side.

Exactly.

> You may just disable the firefire drivers if you don't need them.

It is not even necessary to disable the drivers; it would be sufficient
to not force-load the video1394 module. (Or to fix the udev rule.)
Presence of a Firewire card does not cause video1394 to be auto-loaded;
only certain types of FireWire cameras cause respective uevents and thus
autoloading of the special-purpose driver video1394. Ergo, Ionut's
userland has a configuration somewhere which loads video1394 explicitly.

--
Stefan Richter