Re: lmbench lat_mmap slowdown with CONFIG_PARAVIRT

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 08:41:38 EST

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 01:45:00PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Ouch, that looks unacceptably expensive. All the major distros turn
> > > CONFIG_PARAVIRT on. paravirt_ops was introduced in x86 with the express
> > > promise to have no measurable runtime overhead.
> > >
> > > ( And i suspect the real life mmap cost is probably even more expensive,
> > > as on a Barcelona all of lmbench fits into the cache hence we dont see
> > > any real $cache overhead. )
> >
> > The PV kernel has over 100K larger text size, nearly 40K alone in mm/ and
> > kernel/. Definitely we don't see the worst of the icache or branch buffer
> > overhead on this microbenchmark. (wow, that's a nasty amount of bloat :( )
> >

> > > Jeremy, any ideas where this slowdown comes from and how it could be
> > > fixed?
> >
> > I had a bit of a poke around the profiles, but nothing stood out.
> > However oprofile counted 50% more cycles in the kernel with PV than with
> > non-PV. I'll have to take a look at the user/system times, because 50%
> > seems ludicrous.... hopefully it's just oprofile noise.

kbuild costs go up a bit (average of 30 builds)
elapsed
non-pv: AVG=53.31s STD=0.99
pv: AVG=53.54s STD=0.94

user
non-pv: AVG=318.63s STD=0.19
pv: AVG=319.33s STD=0.23

system
non-pv: AVG=30.56s STD=0.15
pv: AVG=31.80s STD=0.15

kernel side of the kbuild workload slows down by 4.1%. User time also
increases a bit (probably more cache and branch misses).

> If you have a Core2 test-system could you please try tip/master, which
> also has your do_page_fault-de-bloating patch applied?

Will try to get one to do some runs on.

Thanks,
Nick