Re: [GIT PULL -tip v3] fix 39 'make headers_check' warnings

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 06:54:27 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
They are. This bits advertise to userspace what features kvm supports, both compile- and run-time.

This is wrong...
The headers does not change with the kernel configuration and advertising the
kvm features via a .h file like this is simply plain broken.

Ok. Don't know why I thought unifdef was supplied with the full configuration.

You cannot assume that the header files are generated with the exact same config
as used by the running kernel.

This is just for arch specific defines. I'll move these to asm/kvm.h.

And userspace has in no way access to the CONFIG_ namespace which is purely kernel-internal.

I cannot see how you have ever seen kcm advertise that for example KVM_CAP_USER_NMI
equals to 22 because CONFIG_X86 is never (supposed to be) defined in userspace -
except if you did so yourself by some means.

We did, we ship a hacked-up kvm.h (generated by unifdef) with our userspace.

Thanks for the clarifications, helpful as always.