Re: 2.6.29-rc2 rt2860 driver

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 10:05:31 EST

On Saturday 17 January 2009 14:30:01 We La wrote:
> 1) In the press was published that 2.6.29 would include the rt2860 WIFI
> driver. However, in 2.6.29-rc2 one find nowhere this driver. rt2x00 don't
> work, at least ifconfig ra0 up gives a error message. and to compile it
> from source code, works with 2.6.26.X but not with 2.6.29-rc2 (plenty error
> messages) What's the situation of the rt2860 driver ?? The only senseful
> criterion for inclusion of a driver in the kernel is not the maturity of
> the code, but the number of sellings of that hardware in the shops, and
> that driver is necessary for msi wind notebooks, so it should be included
> into the kernel.

It's in the kernel. You need to enable CONFIG_STAGING which is Greg's option
for "these drivers aren't as good quality as normal Linux drivers but we're
providing them anyway for early adopters". Exactly your argument, I think.

Device Drivers -> Staging drivers
Exclude Staging drivers from being built -> n
Ralink 2860 wireless support (NEW)

Hope this helps.

--
Cheers,