Re: Mainline kernel OLTP performance update

From: Rick Jones
Date: Fri Jan 16 2009 - 13:16:35 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
OK, I have these numbers to show I'm not completely off my rocker to suggest
we merge SLQB :) Given these results, how about I ask to merge SLQB as default
in linux-next, then if nothing catastrophic happens, merge it upstream in the
next merge window, then a couple of releases after that, given some time to
test and tweak SLQB, then we plan to bite the bullet and emerge with just one
main slab allocator (plus SLOB).

System is a 2socket, 4 core AMD.

Not exactly a large system :) Barely NUMA even with just two sockets.

All debug and stats options turned off for
all the allocators; default parameters (ie. SLUB using higher order pages,
and the others tend to be using order-0). SLQB is the version I recently
posted, with some of the prefetching removed according to Pekka's review
(probably a good idea to only add things like that in if/when they prove to
be an improvement).

Netperf UDP unidirectional send test (10 runs, higher better):

Server and client bound to same CPU
SLAB AVG=60.111 STD=1.59382
SLQB AVG=60.167 STD=0.685347
SLUB AVG=58.277 STD=0.788328

Server and client bound to same socket, different CPUs
SLAB AVG=85.938 STD=0.875794
SLQB AVG=93.662 STD=2.07434
SLUB AVG=81.983 STD=0.864362

Server and client bound to different sockets
SLAB AVG=78.801 STD=1.44118
SLQB AVG=78.269 STD=1.10457
SLUB AVG=71.334 STD=1.16809
I haven't done any non-local network tests. Networking is the one of the
subsystems most heavily dependent on slab performance, so if anybody
cares to run their favourite tests, that would be really helpful.

I'm guessing, but then are these Mbit/s figures? Would that be the sending throughput or the receiving throughput?

I love to see netperf used, but why UDP and loopback? Also, how about the service demands?

rick jones