Re: maximum buffer size for splice(2) tcp->pipe?

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 04:14:15 EST

Volker Lendecke a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:15:04AM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> Volker, your splice() is a blocking one, from tcp socket to a pipe ?
>
> Yes, it is.
>
>> If no other thread is reading the pipe, then you might block forever
>> in splice_to_pipe() as soon pipe is full (16 pages).
>
> Why does it block when the pipe is full? Why doesn't it
> return a short read, just like the read(2) call does? We
> need to cope with that behaviour anyway.

Well, check code in fs/splice.c, function splice_to_pipe().

If SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK is not set, it is *expected* to block on pipe.

In this mode, only another thread is able to drain the pipe and wakeup the blocked thread.

Code review :

When all pages are used "if (pipe->nrbufs == PIPE_BUFFERS)"

if (spd->flags & SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK) {
if (!ret)
ret = -EAGAIN;
break;
}

if (signal_pending(current)) {
if (!ret)
ret = -ERESTARTSYS;
break;
}

if (do_wakeup) {
smp_mb();
if (waitqueue_active(&pipe->wait))
wake_up_interruptible_sync(&pipe->wait);
kill_fasync(&pipe->fasync_readers, SIGIO, POLL_IN);
do_wakeup = 0;
}

pipe->waiting_writers++;
HERE >> pipe_wait(pipe);
pipe->waiting_writers--;

>> As pages are not necessarly full (each skb will use at least one page, even if
>> its length is small), it is not really possible to use splice() like this.
>>
>> In your case, only safe way with current kernel would be to call splice()
>> asking for no more than 16 bytes, that would be really insane for your needs.
>>
>> You may prefer a non blocking mode, at least when calling splice_to_pipe()
>
> Which fd do I have to set the nonblocking flag on? The TCP
> socket I read from, or the pipe I write to?

I would say, use the SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK flag on splice() system call,
but let tcp socket in blocking mode... But with current kernel it
wont work. In order to avoid busy looping, you might add a poll()/select()
to call splice(SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK) only when socket has data
in its receive queue.

for (;;) {
struct pollfd pfd;
pfd.fd = socket;
pfd.events = POLLIN;
if (poll(&pfd, 1, -1) != 1)
continue;
res = splice(socket, NULL, pipefds[1], NULL, 65536, SPLICE_F_MOVE|SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK);
if (res > 0)
nwritten = splice(pipefds[0], NULL, file_fd, NULL, res, SPLICE_F_MOVE|SPLICE_F_MORE);
}

splice() from tcp socket to pipe is not working as is unfortunatly if !SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK)
and if using the same thread to write and read the pipe. Or risk deadlock.