Re: [patch] tlb flush_data: replace per_cpu with an array

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 17:18:06 EST

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:10:23PM +0100, Frederik Deweerdt wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:57:02PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:35:42PM +0100, Frederik Deweerdt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On x86_64 flush tlb data is stored in per_cpu variables. This is
> > > unnecessary because only the first NUM_INVALIDATE_TLB_VECTORS entries
> > > are accessed.
> > > This patch aims at making the code less confusing (there's nothing
> > > really "per_cpu") by using a plain array. It also would save some memory
> > > on most distros out there (Ubuntu x86_64 has NR_CPUS=64 by default).
> >
> > Nope it doesn't save memory on most systems because per cpu is only allocated
> > based on the CPUs that are actually there. And if you have more than 8
> > cores you can likely afford a few bytes per CPU.
> I did not understand that, thanks for clarifiying
> >
> > You would need to cache line pad each entry then, otherwise you risk
> > false sharing. That would make the array 1K on 128 bytes cache line
> > system. This means on small systems this would actually waste
> > much more memory.
> >
> > per cpu avoids that problem completely.
> It is also slower (or so percpu.h says), and confusing I'd say.

Well it's something like 3 instructions versus one. You would
have a hard time benchmarking it unless you run it in a very tight
loop. It will be lost in the noise compared to all the other costs
of the IPI.

Also why i don't like this patch is that on the typical small single/dual
core system running a 128 byte cache line distro kernel you always pay the
1K cost now, while with per cpu it only needed one/two entries.

Admittedly it could have been better commented.

Not that it matters now unfortunately it's already applied. Sometimes
wonder why I still bother to do patch review...

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.