Re: [git pull] x86 fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 17:03:54 EST

* Torsten Kaiser <just.for.lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The reason why we wanted to re-test the functional changes was that
> > Torsten's crash looks very weird: double Call Trace line, a crash in the
> > scsi/ata code, showing the after-effects of some sort of memory corruption
> > there.
>
> The double Call Trace: line was a copy&paste error on my part. Its not
> there in the original oops.
>
> Sorry for that...

ah, ok - that's fine.

I was just wondering whether it was two CPUs crashing at once and
producing an overlap - or something like that. (although typically in that
case we dont get such nice line duplication - we get totally garbled
output of the two oopses superimposed.)

It's just that when an oops looks weird we have to look at every small
detail, to be able to imagine the unimaginable.

Bugs you cannot even imagine are the toughest nuts usually, as the process
of debugging narrows imagination usually - often it involves repetitive
automatisms which are not helpful in expanding your thoughts to cover
tricky, unusual bugs.

If an oops looks difficult there's a way out of that trap: co-debug in
duos if you can - the same folks rarely get unimaginative for the very
same detail. (Or put it aside and leave it for the next morning - to flush
out the invisible temporary mental dead-ends one has installed
subconsciously and which are blocking you from reaching the real
solution.)

Ingo