Re: 2.6.28-git8: tg3 doesn't work due to firmware not loading(-git7 is ok)

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 17:42:26 EST

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 14:05 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> So what used to work out of the box by typing make now
> will have all kinds of strange depencies, right?
>
> This is a regression, no matter how you spin it, in my
> book.

I know you think that, but I disagree. Yes, it's slightly less
convenient for a small handful of older drivers, but in the general case
it's a massive improvement -- because now we can have a single canonical
location to collect _all_ the firmware that is redistributable, for use
with the kernel. And we've already started adding a whole bunch of new
firmwares to that repository.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx Intel Corporation