Re: 2.6.28-git8: tg3 doesn't work due to firmware not loading (-git7 is ok)

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 11:48:41 EST

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:59:59 GMT, David Woodhouse said:
> On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 12:25 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > I'll take a look and see if I can remedy that. Then we wouldn't _need_
> > the FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option.
>
> How about this? If it fails to load the firmware from userspace during
> the initialisation, it'll try again later in tg3_open().
>
> I _think_ that's fine, because we don't do anything else in the early
> initialisation which requires the firmware to be loaded.
>
> So if you build with CONFIG_TIGON3=y, CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=n, you
> should see it fail to load the firmware at boot, but then it should load
> it successfully when you bring the device up.
>
> Untested-but-otherwise-Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx>

I'll see if I can give it a test drive sometime in the next 24 hours or so.

One unanswered question: What do we expect the system to do if they have this
patch, TIGON3=y, FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=n, and configure a netconsole for boot
messages? I'm *hoping* the answer is "the netconsole doesn't come up at boot,
but can be re-enabled via the /sys/kernel/config/netconsole interface after
you've done an 'ifconfig eth0 up' or similar, or do a 'modprobe netconsole'.

Those seem like reasonable semantics to me - anybody got a different opinion?