Re: todays git: WARNING: at drivers/ata/libata-sff.c:1017 ata_sff_hsm_move+0x45e/0x750()

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Sat Jan 10 2009 - 10:33:49 EST

Hello.

James Bottomley wrote:

not divisible by four. If you want to use word based PIO, you'll have
to fall back to collecting bytes for the last two. Alternatively, you

Nope.. you can't do that with ATA block transfers - it isn't the same as
SCSI

Well, in that case you'll have to do byte PIO for all ATAPI devices,
because this is an expected device to host transfer length.

Byte PIO doesn't work in the ATA world unless the device supports it (I guess only CFA devices really support it) and the driver has enabled it (which I think isn't really worth it unless you have some h/w constaints). What you can do is read the whole 16-bit (or 32-bit) word and ignore the bytes you don't need.

MBR, Sergei