Re: 2.6.29 -mm merge plans

From: Rodolfo Giometti
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 14:14:17 EST

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:19:15PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> (cc's added)
>
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:57:44 -0500
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 12:43:00AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > linuxpps-core-support.patch
> >
> > looks generally good, but the comments should get a little loving.
> > Please remove the stupid filenames that always get out of sync in
> > the top of file comments, and make the documentation of exported
> > symbols kernel-doc instead of it's weird own format.

With "kernel-doc" do you mean what explained into
Documentation/kernel-doc-nano-HOWTO.txt file?

> > Does checkpatch.pl still not catch these things?

No... checkpatch.pl reports everything OK.

> > Also the ioctl certainly should be an unlocked_ioctl and not the
> > old BKL-locked variant. The !uarg checks in the ioctls can go,
> > copy_to/from_users does this automatically.
> >
> > pps.h shoulkd be split into one header only defining the
> > kernel<->userspace ABI, and a kernel-internal one. That way
> > also the conditional includes can go away.

I don't understand well what I should do here... I supposed __KERNEL__
define was defined to allow mixing kernel and userland code.

> > > pps-documentation-programs-and-examples.patch
> >
> > Once again this stuff is in and utterly wrong place where it can't
> > easily be package for distros. ppsfind belongs into util-linux and
> > needs a proper mangage, ppsldisc is not nessecary but ldattach in
> > util-linux needs to grow support for N_PPS instead, and ppstest
> > should probably go into util-linux in a more polished version, too.

Regarding ldisc support we should ask to Alan which solution he
preferes: ldisc & N_PPS or setserial & HARDPPS.

However I suppose is better having the LinuxPPS's core inclusion and
then solve the serial support issue.

> > > pps-userland-header-file-for-pps-api.patch
> >
> > This one is utterly wrong. It provides what should be a userspace
> > library as inlines in a kernel header.
> >
> > Please do a proper libpps library package.
>
> Well that's a drop-it-all-and-start again scale of thing.

I think so... :'(

> Rodolfo, do you have sufficient information here?

I'll start changing the code ASAP and I'll ask to you if something
will be still obscure to me. :)

Thanks for your help and time,

Rodolfo

--