Re: Pull request for FS-Cache, including NFS patches

From: Gabor Gombas
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 11:59:36 EST

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 07:33:56AM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> One interesting use case that I didn't see David mention is for cluster
> boot up. In a lot of the HPC clustered set-ups there tend be a number of
> 'hot' files that all clients need to access at roughly the same time in
> the boot cycle. Pre-loading these files into the persistent cache before
> booting the cluster is one way to solve this problem. Server replication
> and/or copying the files to local storage on the clients are other
> solutions.

Not just boot up. Consider a room full of thin clients using nfsroot and
the lecturer saying "Now everybody open a browser" or "Now everybody
open Openoffice". With just NFS, it takes ages (there is a bottleneck of
a single gigabit link between the clients and the NFS server even though
the server itself has a 10gig card). If we redirect most of /usr/lib to
a small local flash with some LD_LIBRARY_PATH and bind mount trickery we
get an acceptable startup time. The flash is too small to hold even
/usr/lib (flash size: 500M, /usr/lib is: 927M) so it is not possible to
keep everything locally.

It would be really nice if the local caching could be handled
automatically and we would not need so many hacks, so I really look
forward trying FS-Cache if I have time. I used cachefs on Solaris ages
ago and I had good experiences back then; it would be really nice if
Linux would catch up.

Gabor