Re: [Perfctr-devel] [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v4

From: Corey Ashford
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 15:54:37 EST

William Cohen wrote:
Ingo Molnar wrote:
We are pleased to announce the v4 release of our performance counters subsystem implementation. The kernel changes can be picked up from:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git perfcounters/core

(also in the master branch. There's also a kernel patch attached below.)

Machines that support virtualization are becoming very common. How is
this performance monitoring support going to work with virtualization
(e.g. KVM)? Having the performance counters only work on physical
machines would be pretty limiting.

On Power machines, the PMU counter registers are virtualized by the hypervisor, at the request of the OS, on a per-cpu/per-partition basis. So this issue is handled transparently on Power anyway.

- Corey

Corey Ashford
Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center, Linux Toolchain
Beaverton, OR
503-578-3507
cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxx