Re: questions about native alpha futex implementation

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 14:27:20 EST

> Alpha uses a generic futex implementation, which causes some problems [1].

Summarizing this: the generic futex implementation leaves
futex_atomic_cmpxchg_inatomic() as a stub that just returns -ENOSYS, and
glibc robust futex code can't handle this return value, which leads to
glibc tests hanging.

> I've read through the code, and it appears as if the implementation
> could be done by using the ldq_l/stq_c instructions, relatively easy I
> might add. I'm definitely interested in implementing this, but first...
>
> I have only a few questions.
>
> 1) What are the benefits of a native futex implementation, other than
> fixing the glibc test failures?

Presumably native implementations can use optimized assembly, which
would be somewhat faster than a generic implementation in C.

> 2) Is there a technical reason it hasn't been implemented on Alpha?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess it's just that no one has cared
enough about optimizing futexes on alpha.

A native implementation for alpha is probably an amusing project, but
also figuring out a way of implementing the missing operations for
generic futexes would be nice too (given that glibc uses them now).
Although a generic futex_atomic_cmpxchg_inatomic() that works for SMP
might be tricky.

- R.