Re: problem with git.kernel.org

From: Sitaram Chamarty
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 11:30:25 EST

On 2008-12-15, Stefan Richter <stefanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris, you should enable fetching over http by
> $ cd /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-unstable-standalone.git
> $ cp -p hooks/post-update.sample hooks/post-update

I notice that the .git/hooks/post-update still calls it
"git-update-server-info". Shouldn't that be "git
update-server-info"?

[my git is 1.6.0.2, but even on a checked out though not
compiled-and-installed 1.6.0.4 it is the same]

> Cloning a full kernel repo over http may be too unreliable, but cloning
> a smaller repo like the btrfs standalone repo should work acceptably
> over http.

Maybe git bundle can help. Perhaps there can be some
documented way of creating a HTTP-downloadable bundle from
the current "master" in any web-accessible git to make
things really easy for first time downloaders, maybe updated
only once in a month or so. Anyone having trouble doing a
clone would get this, fetch it in, set up remote/origin, and
then do a normal pull...