Re: Linux 2.6.27.9

From: markus reichelt
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 16:11:41 EST

* Holger Hoffstätte <holger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's really all I know.

Apart from all the mainline excuses why patches aren't accepted - I'd
REALLY like to know why each and every 2.6.27 kernel so totally fails
on me when it comes to X ... the vesa driver refuses to come up
with the magic to do its 75 Hz wonders of the pre .27 series.

Really, there's no error that I could track down to solve the
problem. X seems to run in a loop (unkillable), but a reboot works
(if there's not a kernel panic and hard lockup involved first whilst
me trying to get the darn thing working) - my screen even tells me
during these desperate times that there's no signal. Awesome.

Seems like other people encountered the same problem but short of
getting rubbed the obvious answers in their faces, namely mentioning
some magic spell to cope with nvidia (well, doh!), nothing of
substance ever really has come up. Bummer.

Framebuffer or not, radeon driver or not, vesa driver or
not, I still get that 60 Hz eye cancer at best. Sucks. MTRR cleanup
enabled, PAT enabled or not, nada.

Strangely, this reminds me of my hatred towards VIA and its Nehemiah
scam. Suitcase nukes, what a wonderful concept :)

I hope the new mainboard (GMA 3100) works out of the box, cos the
current ancient (!) ati card gives me nothing but a headache on .27.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250
If [Radeon 9000] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: PC Partner Limited RV250 If [Sapphire Radeon 9000
Pro]
Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency
64, IRQ 19
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
I/O ports at a800 [size=256]
Memory at ff4f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Expansion ROM at ff4c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0
Kernel driver in use: radeonfb

Writing this on 2.6.26.8. .... Just venting, dont mind me.

--
left blank, right bald