Re: [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v3

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 11:46:46 EST

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 09:59 +0100, stephane eranian wrote:

Furthermore, Linux commercial distribution release cycles do not
align well with new processor
releases. I can boot my RHEL5 kernel on a Nehalem system and it would
be nice not to have to
wait for a new kernel update to get the full Nehalem PMU event table,
so I can program more than
the basic 6 architected events of Intel X86.

Talking with my community hat on, that is an artificial problem created
by distributions, tell them to fix it.

All it requires is a new kernel module that describes the new chip,
surely that can be shipped as easily as a new library.

I have to confess that I haven't had a chance to look at the code. Is the current proposal set up in such a way as to support loading a module and having the new description picked up automatically?

Changing the
kernel is not an option for
many end-users, it may even require re-certifications for many customers.

What we do care about is technical arguments, and last time I checked,
hardware resource scheduling was an OS level job.

Here I agree.

But if the PMU control is critical to the enterprise deployment of
$customer, then he would have to re-certify on the library update too.

It may not have any basis in fact, but in practice it seems like kernel changes are considered more risky than userspace changes.

As you say though, it's not likely that most production systems would be running performance monitoring code, so this may only be an issue for development machines.

Chris