Re: setup_arch/arch_get_boot_command_line changes

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 07:45:22 EST

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 09:29:31 Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 08:50:24AM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > Rusty Russell (10):
> > <snip>
> > param: move banner printing to top of start_kernel.
> >

> Will this not run afoul of lockdep since it will be attempting to take
> locks before lockdep has initialized?

Hmm, works for me here. But then, i386_start_kernel -> reserve_ebda_region
->printk already, so that banner is *still* not first line.

> (as an aside, it would be nice if it came after setup_arch, since on
> some horrible platforms, printk_time needs the fpu turned on for
> (integer) division, but there's no arch hook before the first printk, so
> one needs to hijack the start_kernel entrypoint...)

That won't help much, since a failed kernel parameter parse will also call
printk. I don't think it's sane to call start_kernel without the
ability to do integer division!

Rusty.