Re: [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v2

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Dec 09 2008 - 14:52:23 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Regardless of sampling method, don't you still want some way to enable/disable the various counters as close to simultaneously as possible?

If it's about counter control for the monitored task, then we sure could do something about that. (apps/libraries could thus select a subset of functions to profile/measure, runtime, etc.)

If it's about counter control for the profiler/debugger, i'm not sure how useful that is - do you have a good usecase for it?

I'm sure that others could give more usecases, but I was thinking about cases like "I want to test _these_ multiple metrics simultaneously over _this_ specific section of code". In a case like this, it seems desirable to start/stop the various performance counters as close together as possible, especially if the section of code being tested is short.

Chris