RE: [RFC] New functions to manipulate registers for ethtool

From: Brandeburg, Jesse
Date: Mon Dec 08 2008 - 12:37:17 EST

David Miller wrote:
> From: Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 04:01:43 -0500
>
>> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 00:54:31 PST, David Miller said:
>>> From: Hitoshi Mitake <mitake@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:12:30 +0900

>>> You can map the registers into userspace using the bus
>>> level mmap facilities exported to userspace.

one hiccup, Arjan recently added functionality to the kernel that could
disallow this unless a user overrides at boot. [1]

also, there is a .config option that disallows this but I'm just
mentioning it for posterity.

>>> No ethtool support is necessary for this.
>>
>> Yes, but if Hitoshi wants to tell a user "run this command and send
>> me the output", what's the incantation the user needs to use?

> That's an awful reason to have to two ways of doing the exact same
> thing from userspace.
>
> Write the tool. Someone will if it's important enough (in fact
> such code probably exists already).

Hi Hitoshi,
you probably want to download and install our ethregs utility.
http://prdownloads.sf.net/e1000/ethregs-1.1.tar.gz
(this is not a direct link as it seems but gets redirected to a mirror
page, usually)

Please let me know if it doesn't support your device ID.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=122747416512900&w=2