Re: fsync.2 does not mention error handling

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Dec 08 2008 - 11:14:21 EST

> Pavel,

> Could you provide some pointers to supporting information / mail
> threads, relating to this?

Mail thread on lkml, "writing to disk, not...."

> > write file
> > fsync file
> > fsync .
> >
> > ... and someone else does "fsync ." in the meantime, you may get
> > success when in fact directory entry of file is not written to the
> > disk.

> Also, I'm still not 100% clear what you are saying above. Do you mean
> that in this scenario, an error may occur but the first caller above
> won't know of it?

Yes.

> (It would help if you could write a few sentences
> that you think should be in the man page.)

Ok, see below.

> > fsync() transfers ("flushes") all modified in-core data of (i.e.,
> > modified buffer cache pages for) the file referred to by the file
> > descriptor fd to the disk device (or other permanent storage device)
> > where that file resides. The call blocks until the device reports
> > that the transfer has completed. It also flushes metadata information
> > associated with the file (see stat(2)).
> >
> > Calling fsync() does not necessarily ensure that the entry in the
> > directory containing the file has also reached disk. For that an
> > explicit fsync() on a file descriptor for the directory is also
> > needed.

Replace paragraph with:

On newly created files, explicitely calling fsync on a file descriptor
for a directory is also needed, because calling fsync() on file does
not necessarily ensure that the entry in the directory containing the
file has reached disk.

> > RETURN VALUE top
> >
> > On success, these system calls return zero. On error, -1 is
> > returned, and errno is set appropriately.

I'd add:

After I/O error, fsync() only returns error condition to the first
process that finishes fsync(). Therefore special care must be taken to
coordinate different processes trying to write data to file/directory.

Pavel