Re: Runaway loop with the current git.

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sun Dec 07 2008 - 22:24:44 EST

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 19:22:41 +0100, Kay Sievers said:

> We are _not_ loading a console driver that way, we try to load the
> console device itself, not the driver. There is no driver for 5:1 in
> any module.

Semantic quibbling, trying to paper over stupidity.

It doesn't really matter if it's a "console driver" or "the console device
itself". If you're in modprobe loading *any* piece of "all the stuff needed
to make open("/dev/console") work", the last thing you want to be doing
is opening /dev/console to complain about something not working.

As Alan said several times now, there really *is* a requirement that early
userspace has its act together.