Re: Regression from 2.6.26: Hibernation (possibly suspend) brokenon Toshiba R500 (bisected)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 21:56:19 EST

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> NOTE NOTE NOTE! I didn't check which all LPC bridges there are out there
> that have these magic registers. But it shows up in the ICH7 docs. It
> migth exist in ICH[5-9] for all I know. But at least for ICH7, the only
> LPC bridge ID's I find in the spec update are 27b8, 27b9 and 27bd, which
> are those three devices that I list in the quirks.

Ok, the ICH6 LPC side has something similar, but not the same. Just two
ranges, and slightly less flexible wrt sizing.

And ICH8/9/10 seems to have the same thing as ICH7.

And looking at my own machine (ICH10) it actually appears like my ICH10
setup has two of the magic IO ranges that it decodes, and only one of them
is covered by the BIOS PnP tables.

They're both below 0x1000, though, so Linux shouldn't ever allocate
anything on top of them. And that's the norm - when firmware sets up
hidden magic system IO ranges, they do tend to be low IO ports.

But if some incompetent firmware person screws that up...

Linus