Re: [Bug #12162] Commit 7cd5b08be3 breaks startup on Toshiba Portege R500

From: Wim Van Sebroeck
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 17:46:04 EST

Hi All,

> I will test the watchdog part tonight on an ICH4 and ICH9 chipset.
> I indeed moved the code over from the supermicro_old_pre_stop code.
> And I'm sure this fix indeed needs to go in.

Test on ICH4 is OK.
Test on ICH9 -> the watchdog timer runs but doesn't reboot the system anymore.
The following bits are active in SMI_EN and thus need to be investigated:
13 - TCO_EN (Not relevant since we set/unset this allready)
5 - APMC_EN
4 - SLP_SMI_EN
3 - LEGACY_USB_EN
1 - End Of SMI
0 - GBL_SMI_EN

A first test indicated that if bit 0 is forced to 0, the system reboots again.
The second test reveals that setting bits 5, 4, 3 and 1 to 0 doesn't help the rebooting of the ICH9 chipset.
So the real issue with ICH9 and rebooting has to do with the GBL_SMI_EN bit.

So next step will be to create an additional patch and then test it with Rafael and Frans...

Kind regards,
Wim.