Re: Linux 2.6.28-rc7

From: Alejandro Riveira FernÃndez
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 10:51:07 EST

El Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:20:25 +0000
Alistair John Strachan <alistair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribiÃ:

> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 14:48:15 Alejandro Riveira FernÃndez wrote:
> > El Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:11:58 +0300
> >
> > pazke <pazke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribiÃ:

> > > Realy ?

> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > Where do these messages come from then ?
> >
> > I took the sanpshot of the dmesg after loading the module if my word is
> > not enough i can reboot with the module disabled but i do not see the
> > point... The truth is that the bug prevented me from loading/installing the
> > nvidia module becouse i could not use sudo. Only when i rebooted into
> > single mode where the problems went away i could build and install the
> > module...
>
> One thing I would point out is that your distro kernel (presumably 2.6.27 or
> older) would probably have had the NVIDIA module to hand and would not drop
> into safe mode, right? In this case, VT switching behaviour may be entirely
> different.

i do not have the distro provided module installed so it will indeed drop
to safe graphic mode if i booted with it... truth is i allways use vanilla
kernels and i've never booted into the distro provided kernel since i upgraded
from 8.04 to 8.10

> Could you please find out what framebuffer driver your distro is loading
> (probably nvidiafb, I'd guess) before starting X, and what Xorg driver Ubuntu
> use in this "safe graphics mode" (nv, vesa)?

what would be the best way to find this out?

> Also, could you try removing the
> nvidia module in the older kernel and confirm that the same VT corruption does
> not occur, so Rafael can identify this as a regression?

it is indeed a regression if the same problem have would ocurred when i tried
the -rc6 kernel i would have noticed the same behavior when trying to install
the nvidia module.
Also 2.6.27.x estable kernels do not exhibit this behavior

> (Maybe things have changed over the years, but my understanding was that for
> the majority of Xorg drivers, mode setting was still done by the Xorg driver,
> not the kernel, and the X server is responsible for restoring the VT
> correctly, not the kernel's framebuffer driver. So this may possibly not be a
> kernel bug at all.)

Given that this is easily reproducible i may try to biect rc6 <--> rc7...
it may take a few days though

Thanks for your time