Re: In-kernel IR remote control support

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 09:40:33 EST

Hi!

> Who is telling you that LIRC cannot work like simply plugging in the
> receiver and start using the remote?

Well, I don't have to install special userland to make USB keyboard to
work, and I don't see why remote controls should be different.

> You can have LIRC setup to decode all common remote control protocols.
> It's just a matter of proper packaging and pre-configuration.

...which distributions don't generally do because they avoid
out-of-tree patches...?

> > Can we merge the common ones into the kernel, while still keeping the
> > obscure ones in userspace using uinput or something?
>
> Why do you want to complicate things even more. When you have an obscure
> protocol, you have to use LIRC style kernel drivers anyway. Why not use
> them for all protocols if you need them anyway?

It is more complex in the obscure case, agreed; but the common case
gets simpler and I believe tradeoff is worth it.

> Everyone seems to be so focussed on the input layer, that he does not even
> consider that it might not be the right approach for all cases.

Remote controls do look like keyboards; that's why people want to use
input layer.

Unlike normal keyboards, 'tcpdump' or 'irdump' makes a lot of sense
for remote controls, but so what?

> > support for the common remotes. That seems like a net plus to me, and
> > you can still keep the obscure ones in userland.
>
> Jon's code and the LIRC approach exclude each other. It does not make
> sense to have both in the kernel. There have been attempts to clean up
> LIRC code to be included in the kernel. The current discussion lessens my
> hope that this will happen anytime soon.

I don't see why we could not use Jon's code for common remotes decoded
mostly by hw, and your code for the obscure cases.
Pavel