Re: [stable] [patch 00/17] 2.6.27-stable review

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 11:43:26 EST

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 06:33:39AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:53:45 -0700
> Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > OK, I realize I'm late. Apologies in advance for that.
> > >
> > > I don't see how patches 3, 16, and 17 really fit into the "stable"
> > > rules. None of them:
> > >
> > > "... fix a problem that causes a build error (but not for things
> > > marked CONFIG_BROKEN), an oops, a hang, data corruption, a real
> > > security issue, or some "oh, that's not good" issue. In short,
> > > something critical."
> > >
> > > So, are we being a bit more lax on the requirements for the
> > > -stable kernels and I missed the memo, or?
> >
> > Huh?
> >
> > Patch 3:
> > Driver core: Fix cleanup in device_create_vargs().
> > solves a memory leak on an error path that has every opportunity to
> > happen in the driver core. Do you think this is not a real bug?
>
> Grr.. Typo on my part. Patch 4 is the one I originally meant:
> "Driver Core: Clarify device cleanup." It changes nothing but
> comments. I don't think it's a big deal at all, but are documentation
> changes also allowed now?

It was a documentation change, fixing the information for a core API
call to be correct and match what the code really does.

It also carried no risk of a regression, and as such, I decided to take
it. If you note, we have also taken other patches that fix up
documentation issues like this in the past, so it was not the first
time.

Was this that big of a deal?

thanks,

greg k-h