Re: Thinkpad brightness keys kill X on 2.6.26.5

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Sep 30 2008 - 21:03:09 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

I just upgraded from 2.6.25.17 to 2.6.26.5 on my Thinkpad Z61t, and found
the brightness keys will cause the X server to die. When using the
brightness up/down keys, the screen will go blank -- Control+Alt+F# will
still switch to a different virtual console, but switching back will not
restore the video state.

After killing the window manager, I was able to bring up X again without
a problem -- but using the brightness keys still causes it to go blank
again within X, while the brightness does get changed correctly on the
console.

There were no kernel messages, but this appeared in the Xorg log:

Yes, I had similar problems... for me it blanked screen on closing
lid. Problem disappeared after upgrading X...

.config attached -- is this a known issue? In the meantime, I'm starting
a bisection to figure out where the problem crops up.

For me CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO never really worked...

On my shiny new X200 running Fedora Rawhide, I'm finding that the brightness control keys work OK, but the backlight remains stuck off after a resume. The machine is working fine but the backlight is just off; I can see the display under a bright light. Switching consoles and poking about in /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video?/ didn't help.